Scenic coastlines dotted with fishing villages, the luxury and charm of San Sebastián, the stunning modernity of Bilbao, tiny mountain villages, and the best wines in the Rioja Alavesa.
The Basque Country
San Sebastián, Bilbao, Getaria, and the Basque Rioja bring to mind people reverent of traditions, connoisseurs of great food and wine–many say without par in Spain–and beautiful landscapes. Like the Basque Country, Basque cuisine has two faces: traditional ingredients and recipes alongside innovative, modern fare, notably found in the many Michelin-starred restaurants in San Sebastián and Bilbao. Not unlike the cuisine, the Basque Country embodies an exciting juxtaposition of the traditional and the modern. And amazingly the region marries the two sides seamlessly.
Traveling in the Basque Country can revolve around cities, hotels and experiences of the highest luxury, private one-on-one experiences with local artists, chefs, food producers, historians, architects and winemakers, the finest dining and the most luxurious hotels. Or traveling there can immerse you in rural life, traditional food, boutique wineries and unspoiled nature. Regardless of your travel style, you will be immersed in Basqueness while in the company of people passionate about what they do and where they live.
Our great friends–guides, winemakers, artisan producers, writers, chefs, architects and painters–will show you the Basque Country from their perspectives. Through guided experiences and immersion in the ways of life here, you will come to know the Basque Country– the land, the culture, the people– as travelers rarely do.
The Basque Country concentrates sensations. Green hills speckled with caseríos (traditional farmhouses), a stunningly beautiful coastline, arguably the best food in Spain, an ancient language (Euskera) and deep cultural roots define the region. The Basque Country embodies excellence and dedication, skillfully balancing tradition and quality. Perhaps best embodied in Chef Victor Arguinzoniz of Asador Etxebarri (#10 on World's Best Restaurant list), who skillfully prepares all manner of dishes on a series of grills hand-forged by him in the village he was born in. Traditional in the Basque Country, here the ancient technique of grilling is elevated to world-class art.
- Shop at the 13th-century Tolosa market
- Charcuterie and cheese tasting
- Indulge in a meal of a lifetime at one of the 3 Michelin-starred restaurants
- Cook your lunch with Basque chefs in a members-only cooking club
- Visit a Basque cheese maker and try his sheep's milk cheeses
- Hike the Basque coast. You'll love the stunning greens and the tucked-in fishing villages. Ride back by private boat.
- Explore Bilbao from the 13th-century Parte Vieja to the 19th-century Ensanche to the ultra-modern Guggenheim Museum
- Private lunch with a Bilbao painter in his home.
- Walk the hills to a village for a traditional lunch.
- Private wine tastings with the winery owners
- Visit a Basque cider house active for over 300 years
- Visit the Balenciaga Museum in charming Getaria
- Watch artisan anchovy salter-curers at work